Asia Regional HR Director
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka,Vietnam, and Zambia - countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read's worldwide team has impacted over 4 million children by constructing more than 1,100 schools, establishing over 9,200 libraries, publishing 433 new children's book titles in 11 local languages, and putting over 8,700 girls onto long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$30 million and our global staff numbers over 380. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in New York, Hong Kong, London, Tokyo and Delhi. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi, a Southern Africa Regional Office in Pretoria, and program offices in Colombo, Dhaka, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane. Our long-term goal is to help 10 million children to gain the lifelong gift of education.
The Asia Regional HR Director’s responsibilities are broad and strategic, as well as tactical. They include developing, implementing, evaluating, and recommending changes to Room to Read’s Asia regional Human Resources goals, functions, policies, procedures, and programs, with respect to our organization’s global goals and policies. The position reports to the Asia Regional Director and is based in either Delhi or one of our South East Asia or South Asia program countries: Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Nepal, Sri Lanka, or Bangladesh. The person oversees and provides best practice guidance in all HR functional areas including; employee relations, recruitment, performance management, training and development, benefits, compensation and organizational development. The Asia Regional HR Director works closely with regional and country office staff to ensure consistent Human Resources practices. International travel is required throughout the Asia region.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
· Design, implement and manage organizational development efforts in the Asia region to support the organization in achieving its goals
· Develop and deliver highly competitive services that anticipate and meet the needs of the organization.
· Collaborate with Asia Regional Country Directors and HR Officers to develop strategic staffing plans for the organization, assess ideal organizational staffing structures/options and capacity building)
· In collaboration with the Room to Read team, develops products the client needs and wants, not just products we think they should have.
· Participate in the hiring process of key employees in the Asia region
· Manage and enhance the performance management and improvement system; coach managers on how to handle performance issues
· Report to the headquarters office on the compensation program, including salary benchmarking and development of the bonus pool
· Create, help implement, and coordinate staff training and development programs
· Administer various employee benefit programs for regional employees
· Maintain, recommend changes to, update and publish the Asia regional in-country employee handbooks as needed
· Oversee and conduct audits of Asia regional offices to ensure compliance with Room to Read HR policies
· Prepare and recommend Human Resources/personnel budget, manage and own expenditures, and report on variances to budget
· Help develop and implement employee satisfaction and retention programs
· Maintain current knowledge and understanding of regulations, laws, industry trends, practices, and developments regarding Human Resources that may affect Room to Read and advise management and employees accordingly
· Ensure organization compliance with all applicable national country labor laws and regulations, working closely with the HR staff in each country office.
· Coordinate and maintain other company insurance such as liability
· Help establish new country offices and train staff with respect to all HR related functions, policies, and procedures.
· Consult with outside legal counsel or other experts, as appropriate
Must haves/ Essential qualifications and experience
· Bachelor’s degree, with Minimum 12 years of relevant, professional experience
· General knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel administration.
· Generalist HR background developed through various specialist assignments. The most important of which would be; employee training and development, organization development, HR administration, compensation, recruiting and compliance
· Demonstrated a strategic approach to HR with the ability and willingness to also execute the tactical elements of the job
· Experience of managing multi-country HR functions and services
· Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written) and capability to relate and interact with multicultural teams and represent the organization in professional forums.
· Willingness to work on international time zones and ability to travel frequently (at least 50% of the time).
· Master’s degree in Human Resource management or related Personnel/Human Resources field
· Strong non-profit background either professionally or via personal non-profit volunteering efforts
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
· Act as stewards of corporate culture
· Be a business person that understands HR
· Be a candidate with gravitas that will be viewed and respected as an equal member of the management team
· Be a fair and impartial arbiter that will make recommendations base on the long-term interests of Room to Read
· An individual with conviction, character and integrity that has the confidence to advocate for a minority opinion in the face of more senior level opposition
· Have a passion for mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit
· Be enthusiastic about coaching and supporting others in their professional development
· Be an innovative and creative thinker
· Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
· Work well independently as well as part of a team
· Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
· Consult with outside legal counsel or other experts, as appropriate
The salary for this position will be determined based upon the experience of the candidate hired. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through the lifelong gift of education.
Please send a compelling cover letter and resume by email, with “Asia Regional HR Director” in the subject line, (no letters, faxes, or drop-ins) to email@example.com. Last date for application is 22nd Feb 2011. Interested candidates can send in their CVs with a cover note and three references. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing
the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.